The SAT is an entrance exam used by many colleges to gauge a student’s academic proficiency. The SAT composite score is derived from two sections; math and evidence-based reading & writing.
A score of 1300 on the SAT is considered to be a very good score. It places you in the 87th percentile of all SAT test takers. It is a very competitive score and can be used to apply to a number of top schools.
However, you may be limited since the very best schools accept scores higher. If you want to know the colleges and universities that accept a 1300 SAT score, this article is for you.
What schools can you get into with an SAT score of 1300?
In this section, I have arranged some of the best schools that accept an SAT score of 1300. I have arranged them according to the level of difficulty. They are;
1. Reach Schools
These reach schools have a low acceptance rate and are harder to get into. However, with an SAT score of 1300 and a good grade point average, you have a good chance of getting accepted into the following schools:
- Binghamton University (Vestal, NY)
- The University of Texas at Dallas (Richardson, TX)
- University of Washington (Seattle, WA)
- Lehigh University (Bethlehem, PA)
- University of Florida (Gainesville, FL)
- College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA)
- The University of California, Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA)
- The University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX)
- University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, NC)
- Davidson College (Davidson, NC).
2. Match schools
Match schools are slightly less difficult to get into since their average admitted SAT score is lesser than 1300. Here are some of the best match schools that accept an SAT score of 1300;
- University of Connecticut (Storrs, CT)
- Rochester Institute of Technology (Rochester, NY)
- American University (Washington, DC)
- University of Massachusetts Amherst (Amherst, MA)
- Drexel University (Philadelphia, PA)
- University of California, Davis (Davis, CA)
- Chapman University (Orange, CA)
- Skidmore College (Saratoga Springs, NY)
- Southern Methodist University (Dallas, TX).
3. Safety schools
These safety schools are generally very easy to get into as an SAT score of 1300 is far above their admitted SAT average score. With a good grade point average, admission is almost certain into the following schools:
- Hofstra University (Hempstead, NY)
- Texas Christian University (Fort Worth, TX)
- Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)
- Auburn University (Auburn University, AL)
- University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ)
- Seton Hall University (South Orange, NJ)
- University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL)
- Yeshiva University (New York, NY)
- Loyola Marymount University (Los Angeles, CA).
Should you retake the SAT if you scored 1300?
A score of 1300 is good enough for many top colleges or universities in the United States. However, you should retake the SAT if you fall into any of these two categories.
- You wish to attend the very best colleges or universities like Harvard or Yale.
- You want to be eligible for a merit-based scholarship since they require you to score in the 99th percentile to be eligible.
How can you get a better score?
If you are looking to retake the SAT or this is your first time, then this section is for you. Some of the best tips that will help you score as high as you can include:
1. Pay attention to your weakness
If you have already taken the SAT before, you can see your performance on your report. This report states the questions you got right and the ones you failed. Do well to take note of the ones you failed.
Ensure you focus on the questions you failed. Most times, you fail some questions not because you do not know them but because you did not understand the question properly.
If this is your first time taking the SAT, you can do this by making use of SAT past questions to test yourself.
The SAT was designed to test 5 major skills that many schools look for when admitting students.
- Time Management
- Reading and following directions
- Stress management and performance under pressure
- Scanning for information
- Coming up with creative solutions.
Weakness in any of these skills could be detrimental to your target score. Therefore, you must ensure you pay attention to these skills when trying to detect your weakness.
2. Identify the best way you learn
Some people learn best when they are taught one-on-one, while others prefer studying on their own. Whether studying in groups or with peers, you must identify which works for you.
If you prefer the one-on-one technique, you can get a tutor. If you prefer studying independently, then you can get a study guide to help you.
Perhaps you prefer studying in a group, you can register for an SAT prep course or create a study peer group.
3. Decide on your target score and work towards it
The last and most important step is to decide on your target score and work toward it. If you want to attend the likes of Harvard or Ivy league, you should aim for a score higher than 1480.
Additionally, if you aim to be eligible for the merit-based program, you will have to score in the 99th percentile to be eligible. This means you should target a score of above 1510.
After setting your target score, you must ensure you put in the work to achieve this set score. This includes studying regularly and keeping track of your progress.
An SAT score of 1300 is equivalent to what ACT score?
An SAT score of 1300 is equivalent to an SAT score of 27.
What is a good SAT score?
Generally, a good SAT score is one that falls above 1100.
Is an SAT score of 1300 good enough for Harvard?
No, it is not. You will need a score of 1480 and above to be competitive for Harvard.
Conclusion: Is 1300 a good SAT score?
All being considered, a score of 1300 is a very good SAT score. However, if you aim to attend one of the most prestigious schools or looking to get a merit-based scholarship, you will need to score higher than 1300.
For you to improve your score, you must ensure you identify your weakness and drill them to perfection. Additionally, you must ensure you determine the best way you study and make plans to accommodate it.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article, in addition to getting a good SAT score, you will need a good GPA. You should also as see some easy and effective tips to get a 5.0 GPA.
Thanks for reading.