People talk a lot about high IQ scores, like 180, but very few actually know what this IQ score means. Are people with this IQ score genius? Are they better off than people with low or average IQ scores?
Generally, an IQ test is designed to measure the cognitive skills and problem-solving skills of an individual. It acts as a predictor of academic success; however, your drive, experience, and motivation also play a huge role.
Did you find out you have an IQ of 180? Wondering what it means? If it is good or bad? Or do you wonder about the kind of job that matches the cognitive skills of one with this IQ level? Then this article is for you.
Let’s get started.
What does an IQ of 180 mean?
To put it in a simple context, an intelligence quotient score of 180 means you are gifted, intelligent, creative, and highly imaginative. In general, this IQ score is termed as profoundly gifted.
Below is a quick breakdown of IQ scores and their level of intelligence
- IQ 1 to 24 – Profound mental deformity
- IQ 25 to 39 – Serious mental deformity
- IQ 40 to 54 – Moderate mental deformity
- IQ 55 to 69 – Mildly mental deformity
- IQ 70 to 84 – Borderline mental deformity
- IQ 85 to 114 – Averagely intelligent
- IQ 115 to 129 – Bright or above-average intelligence
- IQ 130 to 144 – Moderately gifted
- IQ 145 to 159 – Highly gifted
- IQ 160 to 179 – Exceptional intelligence
- IQ 180 and above – Profoundly gifted
Having an IQ of 180 is extremely rare. According to Neuro Scientia, only 1 in 10,000 people possess this IQ score.
Scientists believe that people with an IQ of 180 are extremely prominent in many aspects of their life. This include; lifestyle, behavior, intellect, and so on.
Below are some of the traits of people with profoundly gifted intelligence.
- They have an intense urge for mental engagement
- They are always eager to learn new things
- They are always inquisitive, especially about things they don’t know
- They can process and understand complex concepts faster and more easily
- They have a sharp memory
- They speak less and think more
- They can solve difficult problems quickly, especially math
- They are great leaders
- They process information quickly and can make good decisions from the information gathered
Jobs for people with an IQ of 180
There are many jobs that individuals with high IQs can do, but the best kinds are the ones that match their traits and cognitive skills. These jobs include:
In this section, I will highlight some of the best jobs for individuals with an IQ of 180. Additionally, I will talk about each job’s responsibilities, job outlook, and educational requirements.
Neurosurgeons are physicians who diagnose, manage, and treat disorders and diseases of the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves.
Duties of a neurosurgeon include the following;
- Organizing and performing surgeries on nerves, spinal cords, and brain cells using an operating microscope and microsurgery techniques
- Overseeing or coordinating a team of nurses and other surgeons
- Interpreting diagnosis tests, such as those gotten from CT or PET scan
- Staying up to date on current trends or development by reading medical journals and attending conferences
As per the Bureau for Labor Statistics, the job outlook for Neurosurgeons will increase by 13% before 2026. While the annual earnings for Neurosurgeons are said to be $131,060 per year.
The requirements for being a Neurosurgeon are as follows; an undergraduate degree, a doctor of medicine degree from a medical school, a surgical internship or training certificate, and a license to operate (gotten after taking a state exam).
2. Biochemists and biophysicists
Basically, a biochemist and biophysicist is a professional who studies the chemical and physical principles of living things as well as their biological processes. This includes cell development, growth, heredity, and disease.
Duties of a biochemist and biophysicist include the following;
- Planning and conducting research on basic and applied science
- Coordinate laboratory team and monitor the quality of their work
- Research various substances (e.g. drugs, hormones, and nutrients) and their effect
- Writing grant applications in order to secure funds for research purposes
- Presenting research findings to colleagues, professors, and engineers, either through conferences or published articles
- Review findings of other researchers
- Attend conferences to stay up to date on other findings
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for biochemists and biophysicists will increase by 15% before 2031. They further stated that biochemists and biophysicists earn around $102,270 per year.
If you wish to become a biochemist and biophysicist, you will need a PhD to work in independent research & development positions. Nevertheless, bachelor’s degrees and master’s degrees are still recognized.
3. Materials and design engineers
Materials and design engineers are individuals who develop, process, and test materials used to create a range of products. Ranging from computer chips and aircraft wings to golf clubs and biomedical devices.
Duties of materials and design engineers include;
- Planning and evaluating new projects
- Getting insights from engineers and managers, if necessary
- Supervising the work of other members of their team and ensuring they meet standard
- Evaluating the impact of their design on the environment
- Determining the cause of a design failure and finding the best possible solution
- Monitoring the uptrend of materials designed and monitoring how they deteriorate
The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that the job outlook for materials and design engineers will increase by 6% in the next 10 years. While the annual earnings for materials and design engineers are $98,300 per year.
Basically, you will need a bachelor’s degree in materials science and engineering or any other related field for you to become a material and design engineer. Getting internship experience is an added advantage when applying for jobs.
4. Information security analysts
Information security analysis is a field in information and technology. An information security analyst is an individual who plans and carries out security measures. This is in order to protect an organization’s computer networks and systems.
Duties of information security analysts include the following;
- Monitoring security breaches and determining how and when they occurred
- Protecting sensitive information for an organization using firewalls and data encryption programs
- Recommend security enhancement techniques that will help an organization
- Staying up to date on recent information technology security trends
- Preparing reports on daily happenings in an organization, including attempted attacks and security breaches
According to the Bureau for Labor Statistics, the demand for information security analysts will increase by 35% in the next 10 years. This is faster than the national average for all occupations.
Additionally, information and security analysts earn around $102,600 per year. If you want to become an information and security analyst, you will need a bachelor’s degree in any computer science field. Having a professional certificate is also an added advantage.
Is an IQ of 180 high or low?
An IQ of 180 is on the higher end of the IQ scale.
Which notable people have an IQ of 180?
Some notable people with an IQ of 180 include; Bobby Fischer, Benjamin Netanyahu, and Brian May.
What is the percentile for an IQ of 180?
The percentile for an IQ of 180 is said to be 99.999996%.
Conclusion: Is an IQ of 180 good?
Having an IQ of 180 shows that you are profoundly gifted. It means that you have good cognitive and problem-solving skills. People with such a high IQ possess traits or qualities that make them stand out.
While there are many lucrative jobs available to match your intelligence, you must assess certain variables. You need to consider your interest, the job outlook for the stated job position, and finally, the potential earnings.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article, if you did, you should also see accredited centers to take an IQ test in person.
Thanks for reading.